Friday, July 6, 2018

The Scent of Pineapple Sage

I have a very eclectic enjoyment of life. I write, make art, and spend a lot of time outdoors. This can be distracting and make it challenging to get things done. (Hey look, a Chicken). In the end, somehow; everything comes back to using my creativity for one purpose or another.

Time spent in the garden, cooking and making up recipes are of particular enjoyments. My mother was a fan of Julia Child and I still remember being with her in the kitchen learning how to cook and bake. I often pretended to be Julia adding my own flair to recipes. (Adding cinnamon red hots to cake batter was a favorite though not very successful idea when I was little.) Now that I have a better understanding of proportions and flavor combinations which I learned from years of cooking practice and reading and testing out recipes,  I often make up new meal ideas and rarely completely follow a recipe.

Pineapple Sage

When my Pineapple sage began to take over the herb pot on the deck, I needed to figure out a way to use it. BTW, Pineapple sage really does smell like pineapple. Yum.

Like Winnie-The-Pooh, I put my thinking cap on.

I got it. Sage goes with Turkey. Wait. Turkey is for Thanksgiving. Wait. Why? There is no rule that you can't eat turkey year round. Pineapple is summery, sunny, and delicious. That's it. Turkey breast with a little salt and pepper and a bunch of Pineapple Sage on the grill. Then pair it with a nice pineapple salsa and some guacamole.

Pineapple Salsa Recipe
pineapple (I bought a bag of frozen pineapple chunks and chopped them into tiny bits when they thawed. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to cut up a whole pineapple)
jalapeno pepper - Seeds removed (I used half of a pepper as I made a pretty small portion of salsa)
chopped pineapple sage ( a few leaves)
salt
and a bit of garlic.

No I don't have exact amounts. It depends on how much you are making and what your heat to sweet ratio preference is. I just started with the pineapple and mixed in the other ingredients until it looked balanced.

It was delicious. Turkey really can be a light summer treat.

I am not sure if the pineapple sage made much a a difference in the flavor of the meal, but it sparked the idea, and that made it priceless.

Whether you need to use some herbs in from your garden, want something different for dinner, or need an artistic spark for your next project, I recommend letting the scent of an herb take you on an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment