Friday, June 14, 2019

Perfect Picture Book Friday -- Pocket Full of Colors


Hello World, It's #PPBF time!

Book cover for Pocket Full of Colors


Title: Pocket Full of Colors: The magical world of Mary Blair, Disney artist extraordinaire
Authors: Amy Guglielmo and Jacqueline Tourville
Illustrated by: Brigette Barrager
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2017

Ages: 6 and up

Themes: Biography, Artists, Women


First page: Under a wide blue sky, on a red dirt road,in a lemon-yellow house, there lived a girl named Mary. Other children collected marbles or dolls, but Mary collected colors of every shade and hue.

Why I love this book:

I am sorry to admit that until Vanessa Brantley Newton talked about the art and style of Mary Blair in my character design class, I didn't know who she was. But, it's never too late to learn.

Over the past couple of years, I have taken a much closer look at who the artists and illustrators are in picture books. I try to figure out their medium and style. Vanessa talks about the little feet that Mary Blair incorporated into her drawings of people. I realized, I needed to put a face to those little feet. I looked her up and came across this picture book biography.

It is a beautiful book which takes you through Mary's life and ties it all together with her love of color and her unique and daring style of art.
book illustration, Mary Blair young and painting with lots of colors

Mary Blair in South America, painting and collecting all the beautiful colors

Mary Blair going off to make the colorful art she loved.
As you can see, Brigette Barrager used the bright swirls of color throughout Mary's life to show her never ending love of color.  In the last image above, you get a glimpse of the men she was working with at Disney. The are all in brown and white. While Walt Disney loved her colors and vibrant style, the other men's ideas and acceptance of Mary's style paled in comparison. Mary never gave up her dreams. She went off and created illustrations for many books with Little Golden Books.

When I was 10, our family went to Disney World. I fell in love with the "It's a Small World" exhibit/ride. Little did I know, that this was the work of Mary Blair. I wanted to go through that ride over and over again. Today, it would be kind of boring compared to the glitz and glamour of rides today, but back then, when the world felt so big, before everything was on the internet, when we hardly talked about all the cultures of the world, the It's a Small World, boat ride through tunnels and animated characters from around the world, inspired my love of people, color, and art. If Mary Blair were alive today, the ride would likely be bigger and brighter, and even more exotic, but it would have her same flair.

So I love this book because it tells me the story of a courageous artist who didn't give up, when others wanted her to be different. She persevered and created exciting art for her time inspiring artists to create and experiment with their own style and flair.

It is beautifully written and illustrated.

Activities:

Learn more about Amy Guglielmo
Learn more about Jacqueline Tourville
And Brigette Barrager
Learn more about Mary Blair

Create a Color Bingo game to collect colors when you travel.

Find your color. A friend posted this video of Sam Adams skin color comedy routine on Facebook, and it feels so appropriate here. It's good clean comedy. I am currently three colors: Indulgent Peach (sun tan/burn), Provincial peach (where the sun hasn't shined), and my freckles are Reindeer Herd according to Sherwin Williams color charts. What's your color/colors?

Make art!

Sing along: It's a Small World After All

5 comments:

  1. WOW! The illustrations in this book just LEAP off the page! I've got to find a copy. Thank you! I, too, as a writer, am trying to pay more attention to illustrations and educate myself a bit about the process and design elements. And I'm starting to be able to guess (in a few cases) the illustrator for some who have striking styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, the SFPL only has 4 copies in circulation. Just put a hold on it. Maybe they will order more copies. It should be on more shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the illustrations really stand out and are gorgeous. And, I like the message about courageous artist who never gave up on her dream! Checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The illustrations are amazing. I can't wait to read this biography! WHat a fun book. Thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun book - and what wonderful activities you include. Color bingo!

    ReplyDelete