Friday, May 10, 2019

Perfect Picture Book Friday -- Leaflets three . . .

This week it's back to nature. Spring is here in the Midwest. Trees are leafing out, the grass is green, flowers are growing, the summer birds are arriving, finding mates, and preparing nests. Bees and butterflies are flittering and searching for food. We are getting loads of rain and still have cooler temperatures, but nature and wildlife continue unabated including the plant discussed in this week's Perfect Picture Book. . .

Leaflets of three by Anita Sanchez book cover

Title: Leaflets Three, Let it Be! the story of poison ivy
Author: Anita Sanchez
Illustrated by: Robin Brickman
Publisher: Boyd Mills Press, 2014

Opening Lines: Winter woods are dark. Bare branches rattle in the icy wind. A thick brown vine creeps up a tree. Shaggy rootlets help it cling to the bark.

Themes: Nature, plants, STEM, food webs, 3-D art,

Description and Why I love this book:
An ode to poison ivy. This is one of those books that provides you with an understanding of a plant beyond our narrow itchy world of the plant. It helps a person of any age understand that while the oil in the plant may give humans a rash and make us itch, the plant itself provides food and protection for many animals.

I will admit, that just thinking about coming into contact with poison ivy makes me feel itchy, but I also know that the more I know about it the better I can protect myself from ending up with the itchy rash. The only thing that would have made this book better would have been to provide a pronunciation of the word urushiol. (That's the oil that causes a rash on humans.) That is being really nit picky and in no way takes away from the book and below, you can hear how it is pronounced.



This book takes you through a full year cycle of the plant to learn how it benefits wildlife while at the same time showing you all of its parts and colors, shapes, and sizes so that you can let it be. The back matter is written in a Q &A format and answers the burning questions you may have when you actually end up with a rash and blisters.

On the very last page, there is an artist's not about how Robin Brickman created the incredible life-like artwork for this book. So much loving attention to the plant and wildlife.

As I was putting the last touches on this post, it hit me that the title has a double meaning. "Let it be." Don't touch it because you don't want the itchy rash. Also, don't touch it because it is a beneficial plant in nature. You may not want it growing in your home garden and may need to get rid of it in places where people spend time, but allow it to grow as in natural areas so animals, birds and insects have access to its benefits.

I first learned about this book reading Melissa Stewart's Celebrate Science blog and a post by Anita Sanchez. A great post and a wonderful blog to follow if you like science and/or writing non-fiction.

Every nature center and earth science program should have a copy of this book. Then they should have a program on poison ivy and food webs.


Finally, if you want to find more cool picture books check out Susanna Hill's Blog where you can look for reviews by book, title, and by themes.

6 comments:

  1. An ode to poison ivy -- that is a clever. Do not touch. Interesting video. I didn't know the life cycles. I know that a log that had poison ivy on it, will create problems if you burn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the logs. Many years ago we bought a home in Wisconsin. Were were cleaning up all the plant debris that had overgrown and looked dead (late fall). We cut, carried, and the burned it all. We inhaled the smoke. My whole family had poison ivy all over our bodies and in our mouths, throat and likely lungs. It was not a fun few weeks. So much better to learn those lessons through story, than experience.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting topic. It is "food for thought" to think that while we don't like a plant it might be beneficial and important to animals (Dandelion - Bees). Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. My Master Naturalist teacher has said on many occasions that we should not be allowed to kill/remove anything until we have studied it and understand it. As for dandelions, I have learned recently that they aren't the best or first food source for bees, there are better native plants. Having said that, I also spent several hours in my vegetable garden prepping it for planting. I pulled A LOT of weeds. Every year, I pull a lot of weeds before I can plant what I want to grow in the space. It made me think about how I am just a temporary resident of this planet and I am borrowing space for my pleasure and choice of sustenance. I give thanks and try to do no harm and let the dandelions, clover and creeping charlie grow wild in the rest of my yard. I am lucky to have a backyard that backs up to woods, wetland, and a river. My morning coffee is a relaxing time where I get to watch the wild turkeys, coyote, woodchuck, birds, squirrels, ducks (Wesley and Buttercup) and whoever else makes an appearance.

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful book - perfect for "pre-summer" reading so kids (and parents) can learn what to avoid on their hikes. But also, to highlight the role poison ivy plays in the food web

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It gave me an appreciation for something I don't particularly like, but will let it be knowing that it is a beneficial plant to so many.

      Delete