Thursday, October 10, 2019

Fall Frenzy Writing Contest

I have to start by saying I love these writing contests. They help me stay creative, help me focus on best word choices to make a complete story in a limited number of words, and I get to read loads of stories written by many writers.

Having said that, this time, I had a hard time getting started. I have been participating in Inktober and my creative brain was drawing focused. I almost gave up. I figured I would promote the contest and read other people's stories and be satisfied. But that didn't feeling right. It felt like giving up on a tiny bit of my writing dream.

I sat down looked at the images again (I had limited my choices to two photos)

Two crows in silhouette on tree branches in a sunset orange sky
Image 11
I really thought the story would come from the crows. We have three crows who hang out in our Cottonwood tree from fall to spring and I have been waiting for their story to emerge. I must continue wait. Sitting on my table by the window was a little acorn that I had picked up one day while walking the dogs. The story didn't come from here, though a couple lines appeared:

"I told him not to eat the acorn. Who eats anything that glows?"

"You know if you hadn't said anything, he probably wouldn't have eaten it."

"So it's my fault he turned into a . . .?"



Then, I drew this:


sketch of an acorn amn and acorn dog. The dog happily walking along after making a little acorn poop.

Still not a story.


Six children in Halloween Costumes holing up a sign that says Halloween
Image 6
But Acorn Man came to mind and then the Spider Man song from the sixties started playing in my head and this is what came out: Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnn!


Superhero Halloween
By Sarah Tobias, 159 words

“Aidan, Halloween is coming. Do you want to make a costume?”
“Oh, Yeah!”
“What would you like to be this year?”
“Acorn Man!”
“Tell me about this Acorn Man.”
Aidan began to sing:

“Acorn Man, Acorn Man! Enchanted by Squirrel Man.
Wears an Acorn hat and leaf.
Gathering acorns, he’s no thief.
Oh Yeah! He’s the Acorn Man.

Acorn Man, Acorn Man, Plants the seeds as fast as he can.
He’s strong as a tree
and floats like a leaf.
Make Way! For flying Acorn Man.

Acorn Man, Acorn Man! Nurtures seeds with a plan.
He cleans the air that we breathe
with his forest of Oak trees.
Oh Yeah! He’s the Acorn Man.”

“Well, all right then. Let’s get started making your costume.”

They planned and they drew.
They cut and they sewed.
By Halloween, the costume was ready.
Aidan wore his pouch filled with acorns and, 
for every treat he received . . .
he planted an Oak tree seed.



Be sure to check out more stories on the official entry page.
There are poems and stories; humorous and scary, sweet and dreary. They all show how creative people can be when they spend time and allow themselves to play, be inspired, and put pen to paper.

If you want to try your hand at writing a story, check out Susanna Hill's Halloweensie Contest. Get your butt in a chair and start writing. Your creative brain will thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you added your picture. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I felt like this was an opportunity to not only share my story, but share about how my creativity worked to come up with the story. I hear too many people say they aren't creative. Creativity is a muscle and it gets stronger the more we use it.

      Delete
  2. Your story is so playful and fun, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, Sarah, I adore ALL of this. I, too, had a hard time when I was making my samples. I created the contest based on a different photo. Many of the photos I chose for tjr contest spoke to me, but the writing didn't flow. I finally thought, "I have to put something together if I expect other to." I too, chose pictures that weren't the ones that first spoke to me. Its very interesting, I wonder why, maybe the pictures chose us, or the other stories were too deep or too close to access. I think I will always think about this and try to figure out why. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also, Acorn Man sounds phenomenal, I hope he becomes a picture book someday! Thanks for entering the Fall Writing Frenzy!

    Sincerely,
    Kaitlyn Sanchez

    ReplyDelete