Friday, November 15, 2019

Boo and Baa Have Company-- Perfect Picture Book Friday

I was at the library last week picking up a few books. This book caught my eye. Read on to find out why.

Cover art for Boo and Baa Have Company

Title: Boo and Baa Have Company
Authors/Illustrators: Lena and Olof Landstrom 
Translated by: Joan Sandin
Publisher: R & S Books, 2006

Themes: Humor, Fall, Cats, Animals, 

First Lines: It's autumn. The tree has dropped its leaves. 

Boo and Baa are a couple of sheep out raking their yard. The wheelbarrow squeaks so they oil it and then it meows.

Why I love this book:

I grew up on the Scandanavian-American Ole and Lena jokes. Here's one I found online:

Ole, Lena, and Sven were lost in the northwoods and were becoming desperate, having run out of food several days ago. It was winter, the snow was deep, their situation was looking very bleak. 

When Ole dug down into the snow to look for something to eat , he found an old lamp and upon rubbing it to get the snow off, a genie came out.

The genie says, "I am the great genie of the North and I can grant each of you one wish."

Ole says, "I vish I vas back on my farm." Poof, Ole was gone.

Lena quickly says, "I vish I vas back on da farm wit Ole." Poof, Lena was gone.

Sven was sitting there looking sad and the genie finally says, "What is your wish?" and Sven says, "Gee, I'm really lonely. I vish Ole and Lena vas back here with me".

OK, so now you know a little something about my sense of humor and a little bit of why I love stories.

This is the long way of saying, when I saw the authors names on the book cover, I had to bring it home and read it. As it began, I thought, hmm, I don't know about this book, then I turned to . . .

Page from the book. The wheelbarrow meows.
She greases the axle. "Now it meows when I push it," says Boo.
It cracked me up. I stopped and made my husband read it with me. The illustrations and text really create the whole story. Kids will be in on the joke before Boo and Baa. Boo and Baa are adorable and timeless.

While the story has a fall setting, it would be cute to read any time of year.

Activities: 
  • Go outside and play in the leaves. Or if you are in the Midwest, make a leafy snowman. (Our seasons got jumbled and the leaves fell after the snow.)
  • Check out a joke book and tell each other silly jokes and see who laughs first.
  • There are loads of sheep crafts on Pinterest. I chose this one because it looks like a scene and kids can create their own Boo and Baa stories.
Be sure to keep up on all of the Perfect Picture Book Friday posts at Susanna Hill's blog. You can find lots of fun books by theme at this page.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that spread is hilarious! I can see why you decided you needed to read it. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few more in the series. I am not sure they all made it in the the US, but I love the little sheep and the subtle humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hoot! Kids are going to love this book!

    ReplyDelete