Friday, November 22, 2019

Wild Fibonacci-- Perfect Picture Book Friday

Happy Fibonacci Day!


11/23 is Fibonacci Day! A great day to celebrate the Fibonacci sequence and spiral. Pull out your cornucopia and get it ready for Thanksgiving.


My pick for this week is:
Cover art for Wild Fibonacci Book


Title: Wild Fibonacci: Nature's Secret Code Revealed
Author: Joy N. Hulme
Illustrator: Carol Schwartz 
Publisher: Tricycle Press, 2005

For ages 6 and up

Wild Fibonacci opens with front matter explaining the Fibonacci sequence and the spiral. It also offers ways to discover the sequence through exploration in nature.

Themes: Fibonacci, Mathematics, poetry, Nature, STEM

Opening Page:
In the Fibonacci sequence 
each new number comes
from adding up the two before
and figuring the sum.

This number set is used to plot
a graceful curving line
that's often found in nature
as part of its design. 

The book continues showing the sequence through counting wild animals and each animal depicted shows the curve of the spiral on a part of the animal's body.

Why I like this book:
The sequence and the spiral are fascinating and appear in so many places. Introducing children to this concept will open the door to them seeing the word in new and exciting ways.

This book mainly focuses on the Fibonacci sequence, but uses animals and obvious body parts that fit the curve of the Fibonacci spiral.

The art work is engaging and realistic.

Activities and Resources:

Learn more about Leonardo Fibonacci.
cover art for Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci


photo of three nautilus shells

Here's one I wrote:

Nautilus Shell

Once
live.
Chambered
Nautilus
thread-like siphuncle                       (sigh-funk-el)
jet propulsing, moving backward
through the ocean. Rising, lowering, traveling the sea.
Hungry octopus spies a meal.
Soft delicious treat.
Empty shell
rides waves
to
shore.

Sarah Tobias (C) 2019

Definition of siphuncle.

5 comments:

  1. Parden me while I expose my love of math. I have always been smitten by Fibonacci and how this sequence plays out in nature, design, and what humans see as "in proportion" and "beautiful. Will be adding this to my TBR pile for sure. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love math too. I struggle with it, but love to see the beauty of math in nature.

      Delete
  2. I am fascinated to see how the animals on the cover actually relate to the Fibonacci sequence and spiral. I haven't seen this book and I hope my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine some kids going wild over this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my great grandson would like this. He's almost six and wildly curious about math, science. I love how the Fibonacci code is connected to nature's code -- all new to me.

    ReplyDelete