Friday, March 27, 2020

Counting Birds -- Perfect Picture Book Friday


Cover art for Counting Birds


Title: Counting Birds: The Idea that Helped Save Our Feathered Friends
Author: Heidi E.Y. Stemple
Illustrator: Clover Robin
Publisher: Quatro Publishing Group USA, 2018

Opening Lines: Frank Chapman loved birds. He worked at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City creating exhibits about birds.

Themes: Citizen Science, Biography, Ornithology, Birds, Nature, STEAM, Earth Day

Why I Love this Book and Think You Will Too:

I love birds. When I was young, we had a neighbor who put sunflower seeds on the banister of her deck that sat in the middle of the woods. When we would visit, she was always sure to let up put seed out. Then she would call "chick- a dee-dee- dee, Chick-a dee-dee, dee" From the trees we would hear the little black, white and grey birds call back. "dee-dee-dee" That was how I learned about my first bird. They are still one of my favorite birds.

This book may be the first step in helping you love birds too. If you already love birds, you will enjoy this book for the information and beauty.

The author, Heidi Stemple is the child in the much loved and beautiful book Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. She went out on the Christmas Bird Count owling with her father as a child. She continues the tradition with the Owl Moon Gang.

Counting Birds is part call to action, part biography, and part nature exploration.  It shows how taking a small step can lead to big things that protect and preserve our natural world.

The cut paper illustrations are beautiful and deserve special attention.

Right now you can watch and listen as Heidi reads the book.



Activities and Resources:

Be sure to check out all of Heidi's videos related to this book. She will show you how to call down the Owls.
Cut-out image from Heidieystemple.com
http://heidieystemple.com/books.html
Learn more about Clover's Cut Paper artwork

Check out Clover's Website

Need a laugh? Did you know T-Rex has a connection with birds?
T-Rex visits the Birds at the Field Museum

Make a drawing of a bird. It's one of Heidi's suggested activities.
I made this one in Procreate on my iPad. It started with a random squiggle. I guess I had birds on my mind.



9 comments:

  1. Such a perfect time for us all to be watching the birds! A lovely book and thanks for the link to Heidi's read aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching the birds is exactly what I've been doing for the past number of days (weeks). Where I sit to write each day, I face a large bank of windows that looks out over my back lawn. Robins are alternating their visits with a large family of noisy crows, and I've got the best seat in town for their show! I'll be sure and look for this book. Also, I very much enjoyed the link you shared for cut paper artwork. The images were inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much is changing with the birds right now. I have a seat to watch our feeders each morning. My dog loves to stalk the Robins.

      Delete
  3. Children an count backyard birds all year long. I have suddenly become interested in birds. Love to listen to them when I walk. Thanks for including Heidi's video -- perfect timing for kids right now. There is an official Christmas Day Bird Count and a February Backyard Bird Count. And, thanks for including the note about Heidi being the little girl in Owl Moon -- interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this book and it adds to your enjoyment of the birds.

      Delete
  4. A few days ago a finch couple landed on the window of my front door to peak in and see what I was up to! Delightful - will look for the book as soon as the library is open again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book and was so excited to watch her read it aloud! Glad you added that video to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book. I'm so glad that Heidi is offering these online videos for kids. And I'm glad that you featured it for PPBF.

    ReplyDelete