Friday, April 5, 2019

Perfect Picture Book Friday -- Rube Goldberg


It has felt like a crazy route to finally getting this post completed. I had planned to post it last Friday, but we got a new dog from a shelter who is just beginning to adjust to life in a real home.

Photo of our new dog Ginger
Ginger our new family member
Last Friday, I went into my office to finish this post, but got distracted by some emails. Then a call from my husband suggesting we take the dog to the dog park so she could run free for a while provided another distraction. I figured I would come back and finish after our trip to the park. Instead, at the dog park I was running with Ginger and took a slow-motion flight through the air landing with my arm smashing into my rib cage. (The good news is that I did not fall into the dog poop that had been left by other dog owners and I did not fall on my dog.) Breath knocked from me, searing pain, and great embarrassment. I tried to shake it off just like my other past clumsy experiences. A couple hours later, the pain was getting worse so we spent a couple more hours in the ER to find that I had managed to crack a rib in my spectacular fall.  Suffice it to say that between the pain medication and the day turning to night, my blog post was abandoned but not forgotten.

So without further ado, I present to you:

Cover of Just Like Rube Goldberg book



Just Like Rube Goldberg: The Incredible True Story of the Man Behind the Machine

Written by: Sarah Aronson
Illustrated by: Robert Neubecker

Published by: Beach Lane Books an imprint of Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing Division

Ages: 6 - 11 

Themes: STEAM, simple machines, cartooning, biography, persistence

Synopsis: From Amazon: Discover how Rube Goldberg followed his dreams to become an award-winning cartoonist, inventor, and even an adjective in the dictionary in this inspiring and funny biographical picture book. 

First Line:"Question: How do you become a successful award-winning artist and famous inventor without ever inventing anything at all? (This is not a trick question.)"

Why I love this book:

Beginning with the cover of the book, you see Rube Goldberg machine designs in action. Even if you have never heard the phrase, Rube Goldberg Machine, you have most likely seen a drawing of one or even created one of your own. But, this book is not really about the machine, it is about the man. 

His name is Rube Goldberg. He loved drawing and cartooning from a young age. When his parents discouraged him from becoming an artist and cartoonist, he persisted. Sarah Aronson takes you on a journey with Goldberg and makes you a part of the story.

The illustrations are filled with wonderful details and lots of humor. The style is bright with details yet hearkens to the half-tone dot printing of newspapers.

This book has three hooks: It's a biography of a cool person, it's about following your dreams, and it's a story that encourages artistic endeavors. 

I am also excited to share this book because I get to highlight an Illinois author. Check out her website.

Activities to go with this book:







If you want to find more cool picture books check out Susanna Hill's Blog where you can look for reviews by book title and by themes.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on the new pup! And very sorry to hear of your cracked ribs. Hope you're healing well. As a former engineer, I'm always fascinated by anything Rube Goldberg...so this is on my list. Have an easygoing weekend with Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are loving our Ginger. My rib likes to remind me that I am getting older. Bad rib! But, I am not one to let stuff like this hold me down too much. Rube Goldberg's story surprised me. Enjoy and you have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  2. I've heard about this book and keep meaning to check it out. Thanks for highlighting it!

    And yikes!, cracked ribs! That's gotta be painful.

    Love your Ginger. She looks exactly like Maya, the doggie next door that I take out for walks.

    Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ginger I'd keeping me moving and a great walker so no pulling on the arm. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I do.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to finding this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great biography -- you told just enough to interest me! Love that cover!

    Wow, a cracked rib! That is quite a dog tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a wonderful picture book. I feel like the lead up to my cracked rib, was a sort of Rube Godberg machine moment; many crazy steps to a to a simple solution/conclusion. LOL.

      Delete
  5. Sarah, so sorry about your rib. Hope you're feeling better. I too love this book and the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am healing. It no longer hurts to laugh, but sneezing is no fun.

      Sarah Aronson has a way with words and a great imagination.

      Delete