Thursday, April 18, 2019

Spring Fling Writing Contest -- April Snow! Oh, No!

I love writing stories for these writing contests. They are a great way to practice writing to make every word important. They help focus the mind and the story and allow a person to play with ideas and strengthen imagination.


Spring Snow



April Snow. Oh, No!
(150 words)

The weatherman said, “Snow.” Sophie moaned, “It can’t be so.
Today has been warm and sunny. To tease about snow, is not funny!
Tomorrow, I’ll take a stand.” Sophie would wear shorts and T as planned.
The day dawned bright just as Sophie hoped. Her mother begged, “Please take your coat!”
School went as usual, language arts, math, then gym.
Outside the winds blew and snow clouds moved in.
Snow fluttered and fell, then the recess bell.
With gusto, Sophie went to play. She’ll never admit to shivering that day.
After recess and lunch, lessons to learn. Science and reading, everyone taking a turn.
Students packed up, their boots strewn on the floor.
Ding!
Sophie stood tall as she marched out the door.
She smiled in awe. The snow had all thawed.
“I never believed what that weatherman said.”
Once home, 
she slipped on warm jammies and crawled into bed.


Thank you to Kaitlyn and Ciara for creating this one. To read more spring giphy stories, click here.

So proud to be winner in this contest.  Thank you Melissa Stoller for copies of your wonderful books. A lovely reward! 


13 comments:

  1. How many shivery Spring days did we all suffer through growing up??? Sophie has been welcomed into the club - we wear shorts for Spring, even if snow is in the air! Good luck!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my story.

      Truth be told, I don't remember ever doing that, but I know kids who have. I was the kid who loved playing in the snow. I remember many spring breaks spent digging snow forts, walking on the frozen bay, and then snuggling in the warm attic as the cold slowly left my body. I also went swimming in Green Bay on Memorial Day weekend and felt the heart stopping or starting shock of the cold and pretending it was "not bad."

      Delete
  2. Lots of shivering spring days in my neck of the woods. My girls are just like Sophie. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

    There is something about living in a place that has all the extremes of the seasons that makes you leap head first into the next season and never look back or even stare in the face of the season that wasn't yet ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story about saying no to snow. I’m a life-long Floridian, who actually hasn’t seen snow. I just know I don’t like to be cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope some day you see snow. It's pretty cool. You are allowed to wear coat, boots, hat, mittens, long underwear.

      Delete
  5. I love how you captured the voice of a child! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids are so funny and so courageous about winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Sohpie's drive and determination, so many kids can relate, too! I can't believe she made it the whole day😄 Thank you for sharing this fun tale of passion for the Spring Fling Writing Contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an early draft, her teacher Mr. Winter, made her stay in for recess, but then I thought about some of th kids I know, and knew she would head outside as if everything was normal.

      Delete
  8. So fun! I love Sophie's spunky attitude and am especially pleased that the snow didn't last. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that on April 14th we had 8 inches of snow which all melted by the next afternoon, and now they are predicting more today. It won't last, but interrupts time in the garden.

      Delete