Friday, April 26, 2019

Perfect Picture Book Friday -- Dear, Agnes

Seventy-one percent of the earth's surface is made up of water. So for the last week of Earth Month, I take you to the ocean.

Book cover for Love, Agnes by Irene Latham


Title: Love, Agnes: Postcards from an Octopus

Author: Irene Latham
Illustrated by: Thea Baker

Publisher: Millbrook Press, 2018

Themes: Octopuses, STEAM, letter writing, problem solving, Earth Month

Opening lines: One day in the deep dark beneath the pier, an octopus found a large jar. She knew it would make the perfect home. But something was blocking her way.

Book Synopsis: When Agnes searches a new home, she discovers a postcard which she believes is calling her a monster, so she writes back to the author to set octopus facts straight. Thus begins the story of the giant Pacific octopus life cycle along with some ideas on how to handle uncomfortable situations.


Why I love this book:

I love epistolary stories. I loved the Jolly Postman books by Janet and Allan Ahlberg and the adult series Griffin & Sabine by Nick Bantock. Love, Agnes the one problem that the other books always caused in a library; no envelopes of flaps to get torn. But it has the same feeling of being a part of the story as you read the postcards.

Octopuses are so cool! Agnes is an older octopus and it's a story about the end of her life. This is a part of the life cycle that we often gloss over, but it is ever present. Like the Monarch butterfly who lives to lay eggs and create new life before dying, so too does the giant Pacific octopus. 

Mixed into this life of the octopus story is another story about dealing with things that bother us. Andrew's mother tells him that rather than get angry and act out, he should write it down. Little did he know that answers to his problems would come from an octopus.

Illustrations: They are beautiful. So many colors, patterns, and depth.



Epistolary defitintion



An artist I know, Betsy Mitten, combines art and science in her after school programs. One of the projects the kids do it is make Gyotaku prints with fish and octopus. It's fascinating and allows a child to see the details of the octopus and make art.


Octopus at the Maui Ocean Center
Can you find the octopus?
Finally, if you want to find more cool picture books check out Susanna Hill's Blog where you can look for reviews by book, title, and by themes.

10 comments:

  1. I HAVE to get this book. I LOVE octopuses! I've read a couple of factual books about them lately and they're the most amazing, gentle and lovely creatures.
    So glad you shared this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. As I get older, I am simplifying may life and home. Many books that I purchase, I donate to a local Elementary school. I'm not ready to give this one up yet. I wish there was a job where I could go to a school and share my favorite books and then do art, writing, and science for a few hours each month. This book would be in my sharing bag.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a really unique story with a great message for children! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very different perspective. Thanks for taking time to read my post.

      Delete
  3. I'm continually amazed by the octopus. It seems every time I read about this amazing creature of the sea, I learn a new fact. I'm definitely adding this book to my library list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are interested. It's a nice book and such a different take on understanding the Octopus.

      Delete
  4. This is a great book! I recently found a great companion book for it - Always Remember by Cece Meng (2016). It starts with the turtle's death and goes through what he taught the others and what they (and their offspring) will "always remember."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I have placed a hold on the book so I can read it. I love sea turtles. I have had the privilege or releasing one after it was tagged on the island of Bonaire, swam with them around Maui and Kauai, and love to watch they way they swim and eat. I learned this year that at the Maui Ocean Center, the sea turtles they have are brought in as hatchlings and raised until they are two years old then released into the ocean. It's part of their project to help them survive when they are so tine and vulnerable.

      Delete
  5. So many great books recommended this week! I just put this one on hold at the library, too. Can't wait to read it. I LOVE the cover!

    ReplyDelete