Friday, January 10, 2020

Thanku: Perfect Picture Friday



Cover art for Thanku Poems of Gratitude

Title: Thanku: Poems of Gratitude
Illustrated by: Marlena Myles
Edited by: Miranda Paul
Publisher: Millbrook Press, 2019

Opening Poem, First stanza:

Giving Thanks
by Joseph Bruchac
In Memory of Chief Jake Swamp

Thanksgiving is more
than just one day,
so a Mohawk elder
said to me.

It feels fitting to begin 2020 with a book of poems about gratitude and thanks. I have spent a lot of time reviewing the last year and planning for the year ahead. Part of that project included acknowledging everyone I am grateful The list is long and it includes, family, friends, mentors, animals, and nature.

If you listen to Matthew Winner's podcast (Matthew is a person who I am grateful to have met this past summer), you will hear the poets say whether they pronounce the name of the book Than-ku or Thank You. From the first time I saw this book, I pronounced it Thank You, but as Matthew said, It is like Thanks and Haiku. Any way you say it the book is filled with beautiful poems of gratitude and and illustrations that add even more life to each poem created by Marlena Myles.

Miranda Paul is another person for whom I am grateful. She is the editor of this book. She is one of the first authors I met when I began my writing journey three years ago.

I am grateful for each poet, for the illustrator, for the editors, art directors, and publisher of this book.

As you read the poems  you will see and read that each is written in a different style of poetry. On the page of the poem, there is a small note on which style of poetry was used. At the back of the book, the poetic forms and literary devices are explained.

The poets are from many cultures. There are short bios about each at the back of the book.

I love this book, because it is beautiful in words and illustrations. It is like holding the world in your hands as you read. It is a book to read slowly. Savor each poem. Let it sink in. Enjoy the illustrations. Open it to any page and read what is there. Come back again and again.

Activities

  • Check out the back matter in the book to learn more.
  • Try writing your own poems in the various styles.
  • Make a list of all the things you are thankful for.
  • Send thank you notes.
  • Make thank you notes and deliver them in person.
  • Share kindness. 
    • The Kindness Rocks Project is cool.
    • When I was shopping before the holidays, I went to Aldi where you have to put a quarter in the slot to use a shopping cart. I rarely need a cart, but this day I had a pretty big list and no quarter. A woman offered me the cart and said, I always pay it forward, take the cart. I like to pay-it-forward as well. When I was done shopping, I passed the cart on to another person getting ready to shop. I imagine that everyone who arrived as that cart was being put away, was greeted by a kind person paying it forward. 
    • At the Farm and Fleet, I was at a loss for stocking gifts for my husband. I asked a person for some ideas of gadgets to go with a couple tools that he had. The man took me down the aisle and told me about several fun options. In our busy days, it's easy for someone to say here's where those accessories are and then walk away, but he went above and beyond so I could make choices quickly and easily as well as have a fun conversation.
    • Yarn Bombing
    • So many possibilities, so little time.
  • Learn the truth about the First Thanksgiving. See links under resources for excellent articles and lessons.
  • Celebrate diversity in your neighborhood, your community, your city, your school, and your home.
  • Buy this book and give it to someone who has been kind to you. Buy this book for yourself and read it over and over

Links to Resources from the book:
https://americanindian.si.edu/sites/1/files/pdf/education/thanksgiving_poster.pdf

https://americanindian.si.edu/nk360

https://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2015/11/dear-teachers-open-letter-about-images.html

https://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2015/11/dear-teachers-open-letter-about-images.html

You can listen to many of the authors talk about their poems at Matthew Winner's Children's Book Podcast

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/

One of my first experiences with Native peoples, was with Chief Oshkosh in Door County. Attending Powwows, hearing the music, the stories, and watching the dances by the light of the bonfire are a part of me forever. Those nights are a big part of who I am today.

I hope you will take any opportunity that arises to learn more about the Native American culture and let it mix in with you and your soul. Take time to learn about all cultures and all people. Love them for who they are. Give thanks for how their life experiences expand your life and make you a more loving and peaceful person.

Be sure to check out Susanna Hill's blog to find more Perfect Picture Book Friday posts. By the way, I am so grateful to Susanna for hosting her blog with #PPBF, Would You Read It Wednesday, Debut Tuesday, and her fun writing contests.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful book for celebrating poetry and thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point about taking the time to be kind really strikes home with me today. We are all so busy. And just taking a few moments to notice and help another person can put lots of acts of kindness in motion. I've been meaning to get this book. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you will enjoy it. For me it is one of those books that I like to hold in my hands just for the feelings is gives me. In a world where things often seem so unkind, the simplest thing we can do is a small act of kindness. I have been saying thank you ALOT today, passing out smiles, and laughing. It makes me feel better too.

      Delete
  3. This book sounds quite unique -- I am curious after reading your review. I love the Native American and worldly focus on thankfulness. I am grateful for all of the books being published for children about kindness, love, joy, yoga, mindfulness, respect, being human, our connections and so on. That's only been happening in the past five or so years!

    ReplyDelete